If you’re thinking about building a website or currently are building one, then you might’ve heard something called a keyword before.
Since you’ve probably not had a lot of experience with them, you might be wondering what are keywords used for and why should I even care about them?
To put it simply, keywords help rank websites in search engines like Google Yahoo and Bing. You see if you can learn how to do keyword research effectively, then you can get your website to the top of Google — which then can bring thousands of visitors to your site.
After you’ve got people visiting your site on a daily basis, now it’s just a matter of how you want to monetize your site so you can start earning money from it.
Let me first explain better what a keyword is — then show you how to properly find and use them on your websites.
What Are Keywords?
Keywords are basically words or phrases people type into search engines like Google when they are looking to solve a problem or looking for more information about something.
If you own a website and can identify plus write content based around certain keywords — eventually you can get your site to page 1 of Google and have all these people who are searching for those terms come to your site.
Why Are Keywords So Important?
As I just mentioned, keywords are very important to your website as they will be the main way you get people to visit your site and have them read what you write about.
The more you write content based around keywords, then the amount of people coming to your site is also going to grow.
It’s also not uncommon within a year or so for your site to start bringing in thousands of visitors on a daily basis as you continue to build out your site week by week.
Also as a website owner, keywords are going to serve you in 3 important ways:
1. They will be the foundation in which you build on. With any website you want to make money with, you main goal is to write content to help and educate people. The best way to go about doing this is to find topics people are interested in, then provide helpful content based around each keyword.
2. They will help your visitors understand what they are about to read. When people land on your site through Google, before they even start reading your content they will have a general idea on what you’re about to talk about based on the keyword they searched for.
– This is also why these type of visitors convert so well — because they are actively searching and needing the information you are about to provide them.
3. They help search engines know what your website is about. By purposely writing your content about keywords, you let Google and other search engines know what your site is about — which they then can start ranking your pages higher in Google based on the topics you’re talking about.
How Do You Find Keywords?
The first thing you need when finding keywords is a keyword research tool. I personally use a program called Jaaxy to do all of my keyword research — and is something I get to use for free for being part of a Wealthy Affiliate.
If you want, you can check out my review about Wealthy affiliate (which is free to join) — and also try out Jaaxy to see if you like it or not.
If not, there are also other ones on the market like LongTailPro, and KW Finder. Whichever one you choose though, just make sure it has a good reputation and is pretty accurate in the data it gives you.
Ok so you got a keyword tool you like, now what?
Next you want to brainstorm different ideas and topics people may be looking for online. You can do this off the top of your head, or what I like to do is something called the Alphabet soup technique.
This is basically where you go into Google’s search bar, type in part a phrase — then let Google fill in the rest for you.
This is an amazing technique, because Google is basically showing you what people are already looking for online.
Now after you come up with several different phrases, you then will plug each one into your keyword research tool which will give you much more data into the word.
When you are doing keyword research, you mainly want to look for 3 mains things:
- Does the keyword have low competition
- Does it get traffic
- And does it make grammatical sense
Here’s an example of several great keywords after I typed in “how to train a dog.”
All of these keywords are low in competition, get some traffic, and make grammatical sense when you read them.
So overtime as you continue to build out your website with these keywords, you’ll start seeing more and more people going to site.
How do You Use Keywords Once You Find Them?
Ok you know why keywords are important, and how to find them up to this point. Now how do you use them in your site most effectively to help you get ranked in the search engines?
Well to use keywords most effectively, you only need to follow 5 simple rules so Google can understand what keyword you are trying rank for.
1. Put your keyword in your meta title
2. Put your keyword in your meta description
3. Use your keyword once within the first paragraph of your content
4. Use your keyword within an image near the top of your content
5. Only use ONE keyword per post or page on your website.
To demonstrate how this is done, let me show you a real example of a site I built last year. The keyword I was trying to rank for was characteristics of Filipino women.
So after I wrote out my article, first thing I did was put my keyword in my meta title and meta description.
Then I made sure the beginning of my article had the keyword in it once, plus an image that had an alt tag with the keyword attached to it.
And that’s all there is to it. Also as of right now, this post is on the first page of Google as the 2nd listing.
So as you can see keywords are not all that difficult to understand, and it only takes following a few simple steps to make your site rank well in the search engines.
My Final Thoughts
If you can understand how to do proper keyword research and also know how to use them in your websites, you’re going to have plenty of visitors coming to your site that you can then turn into paying customers.
While organic traffic is only one way in which you can get people to your site, I believe it’s one of the highest converting methods out there — plus it’s all free.
If you would like to learn where I and millions of other people learned how to build a profitable business by using keywords, check out my WA review.
Also if you have any other questions regarding keywords that you would like me to answer, leave a comment below and I’ll be more than glad to help you out. 🙂